UBC-UBCO Application and Self Reporting Info

UBCO Self-reporting

The self-reporting period will be open from March 3 to March 20. Students will receive an email from UBC outlining what information they will need to self-report

  • Students in a semestered curriculum will be asked to report their grades for semester 1 as soon as possible.
  • Students in a linear curriculum will have until April 14 to report their grades, if they receive a later term 2 report card. 

Offers of admission are rolling, so we encourage your students to self-report their grades as soon as they are available. IB Diploma students are not required to self-report. IB coordinators will submit anticipated grades directly to UBC.

UBC will be hosting a Facebook live session to answer any questions about self-reporting on Tuesday, March 7, 4:15 – 5:00 pm (PST). Our Admissions Blog also covers details about self-reporting

UBC/UBCO Application Process:
UBC/UBCO determines admissibility under a holistic process by looking at  both academic performance (i.e. grades) and applicant-submitted personal profiles. In order to ensure offers of admission can be given as soon as possible, UBC/UBCO requires course information early in the year. The following outlines how UBC/UBCO selects course grades to be used in the calculation of the admission average:
Semestered, quartered, or self-paced courses: For the grade to be used in the calculation of the UBC/UBCO admission average, all Grade 12 courses must be completed by February 1. If the course is in progress after February 1, the final grade from an equivalent Grade 11 course may be used as a substitute. This includes courses offered via Distributed Learning.
Linear courses: All in-progress Grade 12 courses following a structured linear timetable (i.e. courses start in September and end in June) can be used in the calculation of the admission average on the basis of Term 2 grades (usually available in March). This includes linear-calendar courses offered via Distributed Learning.
Here are two links from UBC/UBCO to assist students in this process.
UBC online application tips

New application deadline

The application deadline to be considered for early admission for the 2017 Winter Session is December 1, 2016.

The final application deadline for the 2017 Winter Session is January 15, 2017.

​Undergraduate entrance scholarships

The Major Entrance Scholarship program recognizes exceptional students for their academic and non-academic achievements by offering awards valued up to $40,000. Students who apply by December 1 will be automatically considered for this award. 

The Centennial Scholars Entrance Award is designed to improve access to post-secondary education for students facing significant financial barriers. This award is valued up to $80,000 and requires a separate application. Deadline to apply is December 1. 


A number of Major Entrance Scholarships and Centennial Scholars Entrance Awards are designated specifically for Aboriginal students. Applicants can self-identify as Aboriginal in their application to UBC

Website:  http://you.ubc.ca/financial-planning/scholarships-awards-canadian-students/major-entrance

International undergraduate entrance scholarships

UBC also recognizes the achievements of outstanding students from around the world by devoting non-public funds to scholarships and awards for international students

When does self-reporting open?

The self reporting period will begin again in the spring.  Please check the UBCO website often.

What is self-reporting?

Self-reporting is the process of submitting your up-to-date grades electronically to UBC's Undergraduate Admissions office so we can give you a timely admissions decision. If you are currently attending Grade 12 and are from BC or Yukon, you will be required to report your grades using our online self-reporting tool, which will be available in March. Self-reporting is mandatory and failure to self-report will result in an automatic cancellation of your application.

How do I self-report my own grades?

Step 1: Submit your Post-Secondary institution (PSI) choices form

Step 2: Gather your 3 required documents

Step 3: Log in to the UBC Student Service Centre

Step 4: Upload your report cards

Step 5: Enter your grades

Step 1: Submit your post-secondary institution (PSI) choices form

Your first step is to ensure you submit your PSI Choices Form to the BC Ministry of Education. If you are unsure about the status of your PSI Choices form submission, please check your online Ed Access Account first. Once you have logged in, click on View PSI Selections.

If you encounter issues with submission or are unable to view your information online, please contact the BC Ministry of Education's Student Certification Branch at educscb@gov.bc.ca for further assistance.

Step 2: Gather your required documents

i.             Personal education number (PEN)

If you do not know where to find your PEN, check with your school counsellor.

NOTE – Student PEN is located on your report card in upper left corner.

ii.           Your Ed Access Unofficial Transcript of Grades

This will show all your completed Grade 11 and/or Grade 12 grades (including any Distributed Learning courses). You may view and print this information directly from your Ed Access Ministry portal at https://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/tsw/tsw/student/welcome. If you haven't created your Ed Access Ministry account, create one now.

iii.          Your most recent high school report card (pick one option that applies to you)

OPTION A: If your courses run all year round (September to June), your school is on the linear system and you will need your Term 2 Spring report card. It will show your interim grades for all your in-progress Grade 12 courses and you will need to wait for this report card before you can self-report.


OPTION B: If your courses run half-year (September to January, February to June), your school is on the semester system and you will use your Semester 1 final report card. It may not show which courses you are taking in your second semester, so report your Semester 2 courses as "interim," with no grades associated with them. As your report card is usually available by February, you can self-report as soon as the self-reporting period opens.

NOTE – KSS students choose option B and use first semester report card.

Step 3: Log in to the UBC Student Service Centre

Log in to the UBC Student Service Centre (SSC) with your Campus Wide Login (CWL) and click on Self Reporting to access the online tool (it will be open in March). After you have completed self-reporting, you can view updates to your status at SSC under Applicant Status and we encourage you to check this weekly as any updates to your status will be reflected here first.

Step 4: Upload your report card and Ed Access transcript

In the Document Upload screen, upload your Ed Access Ministry Unofficial Transcript of Grades and your most recent high school report card.

NOTE – Students are only able to upload one document for each upload.  If you do not have a scanner and need to merge multiple pages to one document, see www.pdfmerge.com/ or http://smallpdf.com/ for assistance.

Step 5: Enter your grades

On the Courses and Grade Entry screens, enter your grades. Any grade information that you previously submitted with your online application will appear and can be edited as needed. You will be entering your Grade 11 grades on the first screen and your Grade 12 grades on the following screen.

Complete all columns for each course as follows:

Course type refers to how you completed your course. Select one of the following:

  • at your high school (i.e., through a regular class at your school)
  • challenge exam result (i.e., where you only wrote an exam without taking the course)
  • through distributed learning (i.e., a course completed through distance learning or online).

Grade type refers to the type of grade you have received. If your course is complete, indicate your grade as your final grade. If your course is in progress or if you do not have a mark available at the time of self-reporting, your grade will be an interim grade.

 UBCO graphic.PNG


  • Use your most recent percentage grade and do not calculate an average or estimate.
  • If you have second-semester courses in progress, report the course names and leave the grade fields blank. If there is no grade on your report card, do not predict one.
  • If 'TS' (transfer standing) is listed as the final letter grade on your Ed Access Ministry report card, please enter the grade as 'TS'. Courses with a 'TS' grade will not be used in the calculation of your average but they can be used to meet pre-requisites.
  • If you are retaking a Grade 12 course, report the newest grade only if it appears on your most recent high school report card.
  • If you have not completed your DL course by the February 1 deadline, report the course name, identify the course as an interim mark and leave the grade field blank.
  • If you are taking an International Baccalaureate (IB) Certificate class or an Advanced Placement class through the AP CollegeBoard, please report the interim % grade listed on your most recent high school report card OR the final % grade that is showing on your Ed Access Ministry report card.
  • If you forget to include a course or make a mistake with your grade information, please email grades.canada@ubc.ca immediately.